X Strangeness with mouse after new install

I have a fresh install of Debian amd64 / pure64.  Most
everything seems to work fine, but I have a hard time
getting X started.  Initially I disabled xdm, but it
didn't help any.

Basically, I'll type 'startx', wait a few seconds and
x will fail.  The last few lines of
/var/log/XFree86.0.log read...
(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy
driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux
	No such device.
(EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured
Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device
/dev/input/mice
	No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(WW) No core pointer registered
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices

If I try 'startx' again, I get this...

(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy
driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons,
Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 5
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout:
50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Generic Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Generic Mouse: Buttons: 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic
Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured
Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting:
succeeded
(II) Generic Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered
at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.Z" already registered
at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.gz" already
registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf" already registered
at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.Z" already registered
at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.gz" already
registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf" already registered
at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.Z" already registered
at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.gz" already
registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pmf" already registered
at priority 0
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for
kernel
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA
0xffffff000036a000 at 0x2a9dc4a000

After which X will hang, then display garbage. Usually
on the third or forth try, X starts and everything
seems to work fine.

I did a bit of Googling for similar situations, and
someone suggested adding mousedev and pmouse to
/etc/modules.  If I do this, X starts on the first
try, but the mouse doesn't work at all.

I've checked to see that the mouse devices exist...

mojo@here:~$ ls -al /dev/psaux /dev/input/mice
crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 63 2004-09-18 17:53
/dev/input/mice
crw-------  1 root root 10,  1 2004-09-18 17:51
/dev/psaux

I looked at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and found that I
have entries for "Configured Mouse" at "/dev/psaux"
and "Generic Mouse" at "/dev/input/mice".  This struck
me as a bit odd, but I have an x86 machine running
Debian Sarge... its XF86Config-4 is set up the same
way and X has always worked flawlessly.  However, I
tried removing one or the other entry on my amd64 to
see if this would help.  Either it made no difference
or X didn't work at all.

Other relevant information...

Video Card: ATI-Radeon 9200 (using debian ati driver)
Kernel Version: 2.6.9-9-amd64-k8
XFree86 version: 4.3.0.1

Can someone tell me what's going on?  I've run Fedora
on this machine without any problems (well, without
this problem), so I don't think it's a hardware
issue... I can post my entire XF86Config-4 file and my
XFree86 log files if it would help, but I thought I'd
ask first.  Thanks in advance.