Re: X Strangeness with mouse after new install

Artimus Dink wrote:
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux
> 	No such device.
> (EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
> [...]
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device
> /dev/input/mice
> 	No such device.

Hmm...

> If I try 'startx' again, I get this...

That seems really bizarre to me.  I am sure most people are not seeing
such strange stuff.

> someone suggested adding mousedev and pmouse to
> /etc/modules.  If I do this, X starts on the first
> try, but the mouse doesn't work at all.

That seems reasonable.  I usually have those on woody machines.  Sarge
has both hotplug and discover and one of those loads those drivers for
me at system boot time.

> I looked at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and found that I
> have entries for "Configured Mouse" at "/dev/psaux"
> and "Generic Mouse" at "/dev/input/mice".  This struck
> me as a bit odd, but I have an x86 machine running
> Debian Sarge... its XF86Config-4 is set up the same
> way and X has always worked flawlessly.

That looks normal for me.  That is how you can have both a (im)ps2
mouse and a usb mouse at the same time.

> Can someone tell me what's going on?  I've run Fedora

Not a clue.  But is your mouse outputing information?  Try this.  When
you move the mouse you should see some data from the device.  Break
out of it to stop it.

  sudo od -tx1 /dev/psaux

If you have mousedev loaded then the /dev/input/mice should work too.

  sudo od -tx1 /dev/input/mice

If you don't see anything then there is no way that X11 will see
anything either.

Bob