Re: Status of debian-amd64 after sarge release

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 06:31:14PM +0100, Jan Houstek wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Andreas Jochens wrote:
>
> > For the gcc-3.4 archive, my intention is to freeze sarge when it is
> > released and to make it available as
>
> Well, what exactly makes gcc-3.4 such a must? I'm trying to decide which
> debian port to use for production (your comming gcc-3.4 sarge or the
> already existent gcc-3.3 sarge).

For our purposes, running a self-compiled MySQL db server, it wasn't
stable until we converted from pure64 to gcc-3.4.  (Even compiling the
server with gcc-3.4 under pure64 wasn't enough.)  We'd run "make test"
after compiling the server, and it would fail one of the 206 tests
(typically a replication test, but it varied) one out of every twenty
or so times through "make test".

With gcc-3.4 the problem went away.

pure64 obviously works for a lot of people, but if you have trouble
with pure64 I'd recommend seeing if the problems go away with gcc-3.4.

--Pete