Re: Status of debian-amd64 after sarge release

Bob Proulx wrote:

[snip]

Because Ubuntu is based on Debian all of this work is directly
benefiting that project.  And they have released amd64 and are
supporting it.  Therefore if you need a released and supported
environment for amd64 then Ubuntu is probably the answer.

Not if you wish to have a gcc-3.4 environment, as I want.

However I am sticking with "pure" Debian for the moment.  I have not
yet given up on it.  I am using everyone's work hosted on Alioth.  I
will probably deploy an unofficial 'Sarge' on amd64 in a production
environment.  Eventually an official Debian 'Etch' will replace it.

That will probably take around 2-3 years before that happens which means all other major distrubtions will probably already have both an gcc-3.4 and gcc-4.0 amd64 port. I really like Debian but the release process seems to be very slow, if not too slow. Is Debian stable even keeping up with hardware advances? Is it even possible to install stable on a new computer and will it take advantage of hardware advances like SATA, Gigaethernet and so on so forth? Ok, enough ranting :)

/Johan

Symbian Software Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with
registered number 4190020 and registered office at 2-6 Boundary Row,
Southwark, London, SE1 8HP, UK. This message is intended only for use by
the named addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this
message in error please notify postmaster@symbian.com and delete the
message and any attachments accompanying it immediately. Neither Symbian
nor any of its subsidiaries accepts liability for any corruption,
interception, amendment, tampering or viruses occurring to this message in
transit or for any message sent by its employees which is not in compliance
with Symbian corporate policy.