Re: installing on ASUS K8N-E Deluxe

Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> The i386 install had one major obstacle, the onboard network was not
> detected, it might have loaded the nic module, but DHCP and manual network
> config did not work. I think this is due to a second network card magically
> appearing on the box, ethernet over firewire, which received eth0, the real
> network card received eth1. After changing network/interfaces to use eth1
> instead of eth0, everything worked out smootly.

The firewire ethernet will always be available as eth0 on systems
running 2.6 that have a firewire controller. d-i should not have
defaulted to a probably non-fuctional firewire interface if there was
another ethernet interface that had link. If it did default to eth0 in
the question about which one to use, this might be a bug in the link
detection code.

> The AMD64 install had another major obstacle, the installer did not find the
> release file. It was looking in (typing from memory) debian/dists//Release,

Most times I've seen this reported it's been due to a problem reading
the CD, which makes it not notice a symlink and not figure out what the
suite is. We've mostly seen this one much older machines though, with
DMA problems.

--
see shy jo