Re: Kernel panic 2.6.8-9, unable to boot at all

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 06:36:07PM +0300, ocl@arayan.com wrote:
> John Goerzen wrote on 2004-10-30 18:10:
> Hi John,
>
> >You can try my DFS CD from http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I am not being much a Linux person, yet --I am just a tad
> above newby level :-)
>
> I checked your site and DFS files are all non-amd64, yet
> there is an amd64 image in there

Grab the i386 version.  It has both i386 and amd64 kernels on it.
Just pick the amd64 kernel from the Grub menu and you're set.

It's i386 because the programs on the CD itself are compiled for
i386.  But they run just fine on a 64-bit machine, too, and the CD can
be used to restore a 64-bit installation.

> http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/vmlinuz-2.6.6-amd64
>
> If I placed it in the /boot of the machine (under knoppix),
> would it work with these in grub

It should.  Just make sure you delete the initrd line.  It'll probably
give you enough to get to a root prompt, but then you'll need to
compile or install your own kernel, since this one doesn't support
things like sound or DRI.

> >As a general rule, I never use the initrd kernels for just some of
> >these reasons.  It's too error-prone.  Once you have your machine
> >installed, you can build your own kernel, and then the whole need for
> >the initrd kernels goes away.  (Yes, they're useful if you have to
> >have a "generic" kernel, but as far as I'm concerned, that's where the
> >usefulness ends.)
>
> I suppose I will have to do just that one day. ATM, I am just
> not brave enough to compile my own kernels :->

It's actually not all that painful under Debian.  There's a Linux
kernel building HOWTO out there.  You can use its instructions to
configure that kernel, and then:

make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot kernel_image

to roll your own .deb of the new kernel.

If you can figure out partitioning, OS installation, bootloaders,
etc., you can figure out kernel building :-)

--
John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming