Re: Kernel panic 2.6.8-9, unable to boot at all

John Goerzen wrote on 2004-10-30 18:10:
Hi John,

You can try my DFS CD from http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs.

Thank you.

I am not being much a Linux person, yet --I am just a tad
above newby level :-)

I checked your site and DFS files are all non-amd64, yet
there is an amd64 image in there

http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/vmlinuz-2.6.6-amd64

If I placed it in the /boot of the machine (under knoppix),
would it work with these in grub

<example>
title John Goerzen's Debian GNU/Linux, kernel
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.6-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro
initrd        /???????.img
savedefault
boot
</example>

In which case, do I just delete the 'initrd' line?

As a general rule, I never use the initrd kernels for just some of
these reasons.  It's too error-prone.  Once you have your machine
installed, you can build your own kernel, and then the whole need for
the initrd kernels goes away.  (Yes, they're useful if you have to
have a "generic" kernel, but as far as I'm concerned, that's where the
usefulness ends.)

I suppose I will have to do just that one day. ATM, I am just
not brave enough to compile my own kernels :->

Cheers,
Ray