Re: AMD64 mainboard with X-PCI ?

On Saturday 23 October 2004 20:44, Andreas Bittner wrote:
> jftr:
>
> pci, pci-x and pcie

Here is my two pence, to this thread. <since its a lttle off topic
anyway>

Here is a good article that describes pci-express in good detail.
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/pcie.ars

Well we all know that the Nforce4 will be hitting retail anytime now,
which includes pcie, or pci-express. Also can you tell the difference
between a 32 v 64 bit Gigabit card? If my memory serves me right
their is not much of a difference, in some tests that I read some
time ago, a 32 bit card ran better than a 64 bit card. Also do you
have jumbo frames enabled on your switch, or router to take advantage
of the supposed increased speed.

Don't forget that pcie network cards are available right now, but
since no one has done an article reviewing the difference between
pcie, and pci, pci-x cards, the benefits might not be that much of a
difference.
http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/products/sk-9e21d.htm
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3525551/search=syskonnect

Like others have stated in this thread, latency and the pci-bus, hard
dirve access speeds are probable bigger factors. Even with onboard
Gigabit, I have not seen any real world tests, that can show a really
big increase in speed, I see some good improvements in cpu usage,
that depends more on the Gigabit chip, and its implementation than
what slot it fits in.

Rthoreau