Re: Recommendations for cheap Linux-compatible Opteron mobo

If you want a AMD64 3000+, 60 GB hard drive, 512 MB memory basic server, two hour UPS, keyboard, scrollwheel mouse, etc ... the e-machines M6805 laptop is available from best buy for $1100 or so at the moment.

The complexities of accelerated 3D, wireless networking and other desktop peripherals are irrelevant if you're going to use it as a 64 bit server. As a bonus, since it is a mobile processor, you can speedstep it from 3000+ to 2700+ and even down to 1300+ equivalent speeds. Really handy. Offhand I don't recall whether it uses ECC memory, but I'd assume not.