Re: Install Report: Tyan Thunder K8S Pro / dual Opteron 250 / 2GB / SATA root

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:30:57PM +0200, Johan Groth wrote:
> So I wonder which graphics card do you use? I have a Leadtek FX5200
> (AGPx8) which is the cheapest AGPx8 card I could find. Should I go for
> something more expensive. I would prefer NVidia but can go for a ATI as
> well. Just as long as it is compatible with a 2885 MB and is stable.

 I just put together an Athlon64 at home, with an Asus K8V mobo, and an
Athlon64 3200+ (newcastle core :) CPU.  I picked up a second-hand ATI Radeon
All-in-Wonder AGP card, which supports AGP 4X (1.5V), so it works with
8x/4x-only mobos.  It's the original Radeon 7000, w/32MB of RAM, so it's not
fast at 3D, but it's ok.  I haven't tried the TV in/out yet, but that should
be an adventure w/AMD64 :)

  I'm still digesting all the recent emails about Promise PATA+SATA
controllers...  (I have 2 PATA drives with i386 Debian all nicely installed
and set up with a combination of RAID1 and LVM...  I was hoping to put one
of them on the PATA port driven by the mobo's 20376 promise controller, but
that may have to wait for driver advancements.  The Promise BIOS seems
unhappy that there is no RAID array defined for the drive...  If I want to
boot from it, I might have to set it up in the BIOS as a one-drive RAID0,
which sounds ridiculous.  The mobo manual says the promise controller won't
work with optical drives, but if I can live without being able to boot from
CDROM, that would be a good way to go if it works with Linux.)

 Next time, try   mount / -o remount,rw.   Don't forget to
mount / -o remount,ro  when you're done, for a clean shutdown.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)