Re: libgnutls, error while loading shared libraries

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Andreas Stollar wrote:

> I just recently got a nice dual Opteron system up running amd64 port of
> Debian. Most things work, and are quite snappy. However, I am getting this
> error in my qmail+ldap build. The qmail+ldap patch links the binaries
> against libldap which links to libgnutls. When trying to either use
> smtp_auth, or simply just sending a message to the smtp server, I get this
> error:
>
> bin/qmail-verify: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.11:
> failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
>
> and
>
> bin/auth_smtp: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.11:
> failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
>
> Strangely enough, other programs that are linked against libgnutls do seem
> to work. Like auth_pop, and they seem to both be linked to libgnutls at
> the same memory segment.
>
> mail21:~# ldd /usr/sbin/auth_smtp  |grep gnutls
>         libgnutls.so.11 => /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.11 (0x0000002a95f4d000)
>
> mail21:~# ldd /usr/sbin/auth_pop  |grep gnutls
>         libgnutls.so.11 => /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.11 (0x0000002a95f4d000
>
> This is way out of my league to debug, but I have a mountain of Opteron
> hardware, and the time to test and make it work(Speakeasy likes Debian) So
> if anyone has any ideas, let me know. I would love to contribute to this
> port!

I guess no one has seen this before. I found the problem and it was not
really anything to do with any of the libs or packages. I had some memory
limits in place in my qmail-smtpd run scripts (to prevent DOS attacks, as
suggested in lifewithqmail.org/ldap) These limits worked perfect on i686
archs. But you need to allocate more memory when all the programs are
compiled 64-bit. It all works.

I had been testing my qmail install using smartbits on Opteron boxes, and
I wanted to compare the same box running 32-bit vs 64-bit. The results
were jaw dropping. In a three minute test, I was able to push a little
over 1000 messages through a mail server (running clamd, and spamassassin,
on a mix of messages, large test, jpg attach, etc.) Running the same test
with Debian X86_64, I was able to push through just over 2000 messages!!
Hot damn! Thats 100% performance increase, just from moving from 32-bit
Debian, to 64-bit Debian. If anyone would like more details on the test,
feel free to contact me.

Andreas Stollar