Re: how to install debian-amd64 (I will buy an a64 soon)

Fred Marmond <zebarbuc@free.fr> writes:

> Hi,
> I just wonder how difficult it is to have a good system working at home.
> I'll buy athlon64 in few weeks (I hope very next week...).
>
> I'm currently on mandrake on a athlonXP (32bits) at home, but use debian at
> work (i386 too).
>
> 1: how to install AMD64 distrib on the new system (i don't think the MB
> integrated ethernet card will be PXE), but I can store things on the HD, or
> use a floppy, or something...

Just like you would install i386 sarge, except we don't have floppies
for amd64: cdrom, pxe (netboot), usb stick.

> 2: when it will be installed (I hope it can), how much often may I find
> updates? I'm at cooker distrib in mandrake (packages update daily), and in
> testing/unstable at work

Daily since both sarge and sid are been tracked.

> 3: how much mirrors do exist? (I'm in France)

5 or 6 by now. See FAQ.

> 4: If I want to run 32bits apps, how may I do that?
> I saw things about a ia32libs package, others about chroot, others about a
> multi-arch debian... What the actual state for doing that?

FAQ.

> It would be to have all home applications (mp3, dvd, office, ...), development
> (lastest gcc) and intensive 3d (some games, but mainly development uppon
> openGL)

3D depends on your hardware. Support for amd64 is not as good (not as
many cards have drivers) as i386.

> all your suggestions/advises/comments are welcome!
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Fred

MfG
        Goswin