Re: Do I need 64Bit if RAM is more than 4 GB?

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 15:03 +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 September 2004 14:45, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > In fact, it seems to me that *any* 32 bit processor (SPARC, HPPA,
> > Power) that wants to be able to use more than 4GB of total RAM
> > would have to use such a segmentation scheme.
>
> Err, all of the above have 64-bit variants.

Yessss, but they didn't *start* with 64 bit variants.

>                                            I don't know if the
> 32-bit variants support more than 4GB ram, but I doubt it.

Oh come on.  You think the SPARC32s, Powers & PA-RISCs that ran
big Solaris, AIX and HP-UX SMP boxen in big shops *never* had more
than 4GB of RAM?

I find it supremely hard to believe that Intel is the only company
to have a 32 bit chip that can address more than 4GB of RAM.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come."
Carl Sandburg
Oh, come on. Sure they will. That's what testosterone is for...