Re: Do I need 64Bit if RAM is more than 4 GB?

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 09:24:31PM +0200, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> I hope this is the right place for this kind of question:
>
> I want to run a server with more than 4 GB of RAM. I do not need
> applications/processes to address more than 4 GB each. Let's say I want to
> have 2 instances of apache on the machine, and each instance should address
> a max of 4 GB.
>
> Do I need a 64Bit Linux then? Or can I install a 32Bit Linux on a Server
> with 8 GB RAM, set up my 2 instances of apache, and that`s it?
>
> Sorry for that kind of basic question but I did not find any docs on that
> googling around.
>
> Thanks for any help and hint.

I believe the current memory limit per application on 32bit is 2 or 3GB
(I can't remember if it got changed from 2G to something higher or not).

So 4 apache's could each use 2G ram.  There is some overheard penalty in
using PAE to access the extra ram on machines with more than 4G which a
64bit machine doesn't have (assuming it's a true 64bit machine
implemented correctly of course).