Re: gcc-3.4 transition

On 04-Aug-03 13:20, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> second, i'dd like to know how gcc transition from 3.3 to 3.4 goes on,
> and if it will superseed the old 3.3 archive soon.
> when 3.4 includes much better amd64 support, that would be interesting
> for all amd64 port users.

The amd64/gcc-3.4 archive has about 7800 source packages
compiled and installed now (compared to about 8250 in the
pure64/gcc-3.3 archive).

There do not seem to be any showstoppers for using gcc-3.4 instead of
gcc-3.3 generally. However, the upload of the missing packages will take
some more time because we upload only packages which properly
autobuild in a clean chroot with only the specified 'Build-Depends'
installed. This means that every package which fails to autobuild has to
be fixed by creating a proper patch that will be filed to the BTS.
This was handled somewhat less restrictive for the pure64/gcc-3.3
archive but it is necessary to be prepared for the upload to the
official Debian archive when the amd64 port will be accepted
officially.

I am using the packages from the amd64/gcc-3.4 archive myself to run my
own systems without problems. But since some packages are still missing
from that archive, not all of the packages are installable because
they depend on other packages which have not been uploaded yet.

Regards
Andreas Jochens