Re: amd64 <-> x86_64

* Robert Millan (zeratul2@wanadoo.es) wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:58:48PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > DEB_HOST_ARCH=amd64
> > DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU=x86_64
>
> > This are the correct values.
>
> How do you determine when a value is correct? All I have seen so far are
> arbitrary marketing decisions.

Funny, the tech ctte ruled on it, with quite a few reasons outlined in
their ruling.  You might read it sometime.  I'm mildly amused that you
feel their decision is an 'arbitrary marketing decision'.

> > This is also what the official dpkg
> > returns since a few days ago.
>
> After all the hassle with the dpkg maintainers and the technical comitte, I'd
> have never expected the amd64 porters to defend a naming scheme based on what
> official dpkg returns.

The point is that it returns what it does now because of the technical
committee ruling and the desire of the porters.

> > DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU is the the GNU tools use.  They use x86_64 on
>
> The GNU tools (i.e. config.sub) accept both, so it's not an issue.

The kernel also uses x86_64, as I recall.  Certainly this is the
arrangement that works and is being used currently.  I see no
justification for changing it.

	Stephen