amd64 <-> x86_64

Hi!

Now that the technical comitte has ruled in favour of 'amd64' for the debian
archname (DEB_HOST_ARCH variable), I wonder what will happen with the other
dpkg-architecture variables, which are actualy much more important than
the architecture name dpkg uses internaly to identify debian ports.

At the time of writing, dpkg-architecture identifies the platform as:

  DEB_HOST_ARCH = "x86-64"
  DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU = "x86_64"

The former will be changed to 'amd64'. Will you change the latter to 'amd64'
too? If you had arguments to justify the name change for DEB_HOST_ARCH, I
don't see why the same arguments wouldn't apply to DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU.

I hope we can archieve a consistent naming scheme that users and developers
can easily understand, instead of a dual naming that would generate confusion.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T., Ainulindale (Silmarillion)