Re: gcc 3.4 as default.

On Thursday 08 July 2004 12:54, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been asked again if we want to use gcc 3.4 as default on
> > amd64 or stick with 3.3.
>
> How compatible is it? Last I heard gcc 3.4 has abi differences on some
> archs (e.g. mips) but not on all.
>
> The question is if we need to bootstrap a new archive completly gcc
> 3.4 build or wether to just start using it and recompile things as
> needed or as they upload new versions.

For amd64 the only difference is how vector floating point arguments are
passed[1]. GCC doesn't generate vector code automatically (you need to
explicitly use vector types, usually combined with builtins or inline
assembly). I suspect there will be approximately zero debian packages
effected by this.

Paul

[1] libstdc++-v3 may also have had an ABI/version bump, but this should
coexist with the 3.3 version.