Re: gcc 3.4 as default.

Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been asked again if we want to use gcc 3.4 as default on
> amd64 or stick with 3.3.

How compatible is it? Last I heard gcc 3.4 has abi differences on some
archs (e.g. mips) but not on all.

The question is if we need to bootstrap a new archive completly gcc
3.4 build or wether to just start using it and recompile things as
needed or as they upload new versions.

On the same line is the question if we break compatibility with other
distributions? Is any other amd64 dist using gcc 3.4?

> The 3.3 version has some problems that are fixed in the 3.4
> version.  It should also generate faster code for us.
>
> It shouldn't be a problem for us being the only one in sid/sarge
> to use it since it has been done before.

As long as gcc 3.4 is in sid/sarge or if we give up being included in
debian there is no problem there.

> The only argument I know against using it is that it might break
> more applications because it has better support for C++ and now
> fails to compile thing that might have worked with previous
> version.  I've been told that kde for instance has a problem with
> it but that should be fixed in the next version which I've heard
> is going to be available in a few weeks.
>
> Does anybody have any good reasons not to use gcc 3.4?
>

> Kurt

MfG
        Goswin