Re: Problem loading parport_pc kernel module

Jerome Warnier wrote:
Hi guys,

This is probably not the best place to ask, but not the worst either.
I'm using standard Debian Sarge (not pure 64 stuff, I need to run some
proprietary applications on it, and need Java) on an AMD Opteron.

I would like to use an USB key hardlock (you know, the infamous thing
for people "stealing" computer programs to others). The manufacturer
provides a binary-only kernel module (supporting at the same time their
USB and parallel keys), which seems to need "parport_pc" anyway.
Unfortunately, the "parport_pc" module won't load, I don't quite
understand why, but suspect it could be related to the processor or
hardware involved. This is the complete message:
skanew://tmp# modprobe parport_pc
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-k7/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o:
init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-k7/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-k7/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1-k7/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o: insmod
parport_pc failed

As you can see, I'm using stock kernel 2.4.26-1-k7 from Debian.

Hint: the proprietary module is built for some kind of 2.4.22 kernel, I
don't know which exactly. I have to load it with "insmod -f", but I can
already tell you that it works fine on another machine, a regular PII
with a 2.4.26-1-686 stock Debian kernel.

Thanks
parallel port disabled in bios?

--

Gerard H. Pille