Re: gcc 3.4 as default.

On Wednesday 07 July 2004 23:22, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked again if we want to use gcc 3.4 as default on
> amd64 or stick with 3.3.
>
> The 3.3 version has some problems that are fixed in the 3.4
> version.  It should also generate faster code for us.

  Might this be the cause for certain applications like xine to take much more
CPU on pure64 when playing mpeg streams (from a DVD, for example)?

  On this same machine (Athlon64 3400+), running debian i386, xine doesn't
ususally show more than 1 or 2% CPU use on top. On pure64 it goes up to 30 or
40%, despite the fact that it is using the same settings (XV hardware
scalling) as debian i386.

  Furthermore, I built mplayer from the source and noticed a very similar
increase in CPU consumption, when playing the same files I used to play with
i386 binaries.

Best regards

Claudio