Re: AMD64 and lib64

* Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader

| * Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> [2004-07-07 13:43]:
| > lib64 is ugly and wrong, wrong, wrong.
|
| But it's in LSB which Debian wants to follow...

The LSB, as the FHS, documents current practice.  We want it to change.
lib64 is a wart on history and should never have been there.

| > You were at the multiarch talk during debconf4, and that is, IMO,
| > the sane way to do it.
|
| ... and multiarch is far away.

Not that far away, really.  Or rather, release-wise, it's far away, but
getting a system with multiarch working isn't _that_ much work.

| > We don't do that.  At least not for the current AMD64 port.  It's a pure
| > 64 bit port without any 32 bit compatibility.  The way to do multiarch
|
| What about people who need 32 bit compatibility?

They should run our i386 port.  In a chroot if they so want.  (Or use
the ia32-libs package, which might or might not work.)  A chroot
approach will give you a 32 bit LSB environment just fine.

| > | For binary compatability reasons with other distributions you should
| > | be also careful that all of the application binaries refer to /lib64
| > | rather than /lib.
| >
| > We are aware of that, and /lib64 is a symlink for the time being.
|
| This doesn't help when someone wants to run Debian binaries on another
| architecture.  Does Debian want to be perceived as incompatible with
| the rest of the world?

huh, why don't you think that helps?

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-