Re: AMD64 and lib64

* Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> [2004-07-07 13:43]:
> lib64 is ugly and wrong, wrong, wrong.

But it's in LSB which Debian wants to follow...

> You were at the multiarch talk during debconf4, and that is, IMO,
> the sane way to do it.

... and multiarch is far away.

> We don't do that.  At least not for the current AMD64 port.  It's a pure
> 64 bit port without any 32 bit compatibility.  The way to do multiarch

What about people who need 32 bit compatibility?

> | For binary compatability reasons with other distributions you should
> | be also careful that all of the application binaries refer to /lib64
> | rather than /lib.
>
> We are aware of that, and /lib64 is a symlink for the time being.

This doesn't help when someone wants to run Debian binaries on another
architecture.  Does Debian want to be perceived as incompatible with
the rest of the world?

--
Martin Michlmayr
leader@debian.org