Re: kernel-patch-amd64

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:24:56AM +0100, viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:20:18AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > ... and you might want to check kernel changelogs before starting
> > > moralizing of your own.
> >
> > What has your status as kernel maintainer have to do with the
> > maintainance of the dbeian-kernel packages, and how debian handles this ?
>
> It has something with the amount of cleanups being done and, excuse me,
> certain experience with the results of different approaches to said
> cleanups.

So, we should immeditely remove all the extraneous patches, and ship
only the pristine upstream source ?

> If you have an axe to grind with me, Christoph, "purists" or somebody
> stiffling your flexibility, whatever that might mean - feel free to
> take it offlist.

Why offlist, this is most certainly on topic, since it defines the way
debian is going to threat the kernel package.

> If you have any technical arguments, you are welcome to make them (starting
> with that thing called "point").

Well, and what point have you made, apart from the "It should be split
and merged upstream before it goes into debian kernel packages", which
is hardly realist and maybe tainted with your other responsabilities as
kernel packager.

I just ask that we put aside this rigidity and be a bit flexible about
this. If the amd64 patches are going to be split and merged upstream,
what harm is there in making the monolitic patch available to our users
in the meantime ?

And sorry, upto now, your only arguments where dogma, white space and
the monolitic nature of the patch.

Friendly,

Sven Luther