Re: kernel-patch-amd64

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:30:05AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Bad idea.  Split the patch and get as much as possible merged upstream.
> > Note that large parts are simply "Lindent that file" and they certainly
> > should not be mixed with the rest.
>
> And ? Is that incompatible with making a kernel-patch-amd64 package and
> building a kernel from it ?
>
> What i really dislike about this politic of submitting stuff upstream,
> is that we are going all stupid and rigid about it, and totally loosing
> the interest of our users from our minds.

WTF does it have to do with interest of our users?

> So what if it is a monolitic patch ?

Simple fact that it makes maintaining it (as opposed to "Me Og. Og wget.
Og package.  Og upload.  Og no read.  Og maintainer.") harder.  And no,
I'm not implying that anyone involved in this thread is on that level.

Have you reviewed the patch in question?  Beyond "applies clean, might
even boot" stage, that is.  Guess what - to do that you will need to
start with splitting it up, at least to see if e.g. msr.c part is
Lindent-only or there are actual changes in it.

> So, don't forget, in the fight between user availablitiy and mostly
> cosmetic changes which won'ty be noticed by anyone apart from us, it is
> clear where the priority of debian goes, go reread the social contract
> if you are not convinced.

Where does social contract say that blind, unreviewed use of code that
will run with maximal priveleges possible is in the interests of users?