Re: Installation report -> works with a few problems

Hi

Am Montag, 28. Juni 2004 04:22 schrieb Frederik Schueler:

> > X and KDE worked only on my LCD if I used the "fbdev" driver istead
> > of "nv".
>
> Your gfx card is too new to be supported by DFSG-free xfree86. Use the
> non-free nvidia drivers to get everything out of your card. This
> problem exists on i386 too.

Mmh ... my box was shipped with Suse (9.0 i386 -- I think). There the nv diver
worked. Kanotix and Debian however couldn't be convinced to work with "nv" on
my LCD -- even with Suse's XF86config-4.
(The monitor has no problems with "nv").

> > The next ugly thing was (and is), that my "Alt-Gr"-key don't work
>
> Know problem too: your /etc/X11/xkb is (nearly) empty, install xlibs
> and you should be done.

Yes, that's it. But xlibs seemed to me to be a dummy package only for smooth
upgrade -- if you see just the first 75% on dselect ;-) -- so I didn't
install it.

> > Nevertheless I tried to install the nvida driver. But:
> >
> > 1. /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-5332-pkg0.run asked for headers
> > of my kernel (vmlinuz-2.6.7-1-k), but they depend on
> > kernel-kbuild-2.6-3 (>= 2.6.7)
> > which is only at 2.6.6-1.
>
> I was told about this today, fixed packages are in the upload queue.

Ok, so I'll wait for it.

> > 2. I tried to build my own kernel (debian 2.6.7 source) with
> > a .config (from 2.6.6) that worked with Kanotix on my box. But
> > root=/dev/hde1 and root=/dev/sda1 resulted in kernel panic - unable
> > to mount root :-(
>
> Sounds like a devfs problem. Either add devfs to your self-compiled
> kernel or setup your fstab/lilo/grub to boot correctly... (devfsd may
> help)

I compiled it again with devfs enabled at start. (It was copiled in before,
but I forgt to enable it in grub). However it didn't work. Kanotix' kernel
says: "Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0"
-> I think I've to play a bit with boot/.config options.

> > 3. I  installed an older debian-kernel (uname -r  ->  2.6.6-4-k8)
> > with
> > headers, but /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-5332-pkg0.run sayed
> > "/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h not found -- perhaps
> > kernel sources are not configured"
> >
> > Can anybody give me a hint how to fix this?
>
> modversions.h is not present in 2.6 kernels, but the nvidia installer
> should have detected this: try running the installer with
>
>  --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.6

You mean  --kernel-include-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.6-4/include ?
With this include/linux/modversions.h wasn't there again. Thanks to the log
file, now I know the path ;-). I found it in include/config and liked it
include/linux. Now the nvidia skript started to compile, but exited with a
lot of errors and warnings. If desired, I can mail someone my
nvidia-installer.log. In the kernel-sources for my self-compiled kernel, I
saw that modversions.h is in config too. So I'll wait untill the packages for
nvidia have been released -- I already saw one ;-)

> but since the dependency on kernel-kbuild-2.6.7 is broken, you might
> want to wait for the corrected packages to be uploaded, or use dpkg
> --force.
>
> > I'd also complain about synaptic -> The description is truncated
> > e.g.:
> > Debian base system configurator
> > tting up the Debian base system. It contains the
> > ou see when you install Debian for the first time
> > bian system.
> >  no ill effects -- once your Debian system is
> > 's only useful function is to allow you to
>
> this looks like to be a real bug. please file it against the package.

You mean I should write a bug report?

@ Frederik Schueler thank you very much for your long and quick answer :-)

Bye,
Tobias