Installation report -> works with a few problems

Hello,

last week I installed Debian amd64 on my institut's first Athlon64
machine. I used the Debian-Installer from 2004-06-21 (netinst.iso).

This box has an Athlon64 3000+ on an Asus A7V600 motherboard and a
GeForce FX 5200. One SATA disk is connected to the VIA VT6420
contoller. I've a LCD-Display and a monitor ... and 'd like them to
work twinhead ;-)

Installation with Debian-Installer (I used expert) worked without
problems, exept two minor things:

- vga=794 (framebuffer) didn't work -> my shiny new LCD flickerd a
lot -> I hat to use the old monitor :-/

- My SATA disk is attached as /dev/hde (Kanotix attaced it
as /dev/sda) -> Does it matter?

After installation vga=794 worked :-)
First I updated the package list and (almost) all
base/important/standard packages were installed/updated ... till
debsig-verify was installed. By now all new packages were rejected.
Is this because AMD64 is not an official port? Or because I used
"deb http://debian.inode.at/pure64 sid main" instead of alioth? Why
is debsig-verify in standard, if it reject's
everything?

The first ugly thing I recognised was that there was no  bash
completion enabled. I managed to fix this by spying a bit at
Kanotix' bashrc/profile ;-) You've just to uncomment a few lines
in/etc/bash.bashrc. Maybe it should be enabled by default, because
it's very cushy.

X and KDE worked only on my LCD if I used the "fbdev" driver istead
of "nv".

The next ugly thing was (and is), that my "Alt-Gr"-key don't work ->
some signs I have to paste from KCharSelect :-(. Again I spyed at
Kanotix, but I didn't succed. Here are two differences between
Kanotix and Debian-AMD64:

- In KControl there are no keybord layouts (Kanotix is full of them)

- "ls /etc/X11/xkb/" :
        compiled  xkbcomp
  "ls /mnt/kanotix/etc/X11/xkb/" :
        compat      geometry.dir  keymap.dir        rules
types
        compat.dir  keycodes      README            semantics
types.dir
        compiled    keycodes.dir  README.config     symbols
xkbcomp
        geometry    keymap        README.enhancing  symbols.dir

Is there a package missing - although I locked at all x11 pakages of
dselect?
My "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" says:

(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun Jun 27 18:58:09
2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
(==) ServerLayout "XFree86 Configured"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) XKB: model: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "de"
(**) XKB: layout: "de"
(**) Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
(**) XKB: variant: "nodeadkeys"
(==) Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled
(**) |-->Input Device "PS/2 Mouse"
:
:
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "PS/2 Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
(II) Server_Terminate keybinding not found

Has anyone an idea how to fix this?

Nevertheless I tried to install the nvida driver. But:

1. /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-5332-pkg0.run asked for headers
of my kernel (vmlinuz-2.6.7-1-k), but they depend on
kernel-kbuild-2.6-3 (>= 2.6.7)
which is only at 2.6.6-1.

2. I tried to build my own kernel (debian 2.6.7 source) with
a .config (from 2.6.6) that worked with Kanotix on my box. But
root=/dev/hde1 and root=/dev/sda1 resulted in kernel panic - unable
to mount root :-(

3. I  installed an older debian-kernel (uname -r  ->  2.6.6-4-k8)
with
headers, but /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-5332-pkg0.run sayed
"/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h not found -- perhaps
kernel sources are not configured"

Can anybody give me a hint how to fix this?

I'd also complain about synaptic -> The description is truncated
e.g.:
Debian base system configurator
tting up the Debian base system. It contains the
ou see when you install Debian for the first time
bian system.
 no ill effects -- once your Debian system is
's only useful function is to allow you to

about nedit -> Segmentaiton fault and about sim -> Crashes while
logging in (I saw something like this in the list)

Finally i'd like to thank all porters who have done a great
work :-). I expected much more trouble -- ;-) -- really!

Greetings

Tobi