Re: installing debian on amd 64

Alex Perry <alex.perry@qm.com> writes:

> Those packages are not installed by default ... until you ask for
> them.  As root, try typing the command
>     apt-get install xserver-xfree86 emacs

Better choise to get the basic X setup is

apt-get install x-windows-system-core

Other packages you realy want are:

- a window manager, e.g. twm
- a terminal emulator, e.g. xterm

You can also use

apt-get install kde  or  gnome

to get all the desktop bloat in one go.  [But I think gnome just got
broken in todays mozilla upload (version conflicts till epiphany is
updated too)].

Further you might like to look at dselect or aptitude (apt-get install
aptitude if missing) for an overview what else is there.

MfG
        Goswin