Re: installing debian on amd 64

Those packages are not installed by default ... until you ask for them. As root, try typing the command
   apt-get install xserver-xfree86 emacs
and answer the various questions to get X and emacs running. That only brings in the X server itself; if you want a desktop environment you need to request that separately. I personally prefer the lightweight window managers and would request "fluxbox". I'm not sure what you mean by ftp; if you want the server then add "proftpd" to that command (for example, there are many to choose from).

Alex.

PS. I like to install the X server separately, as above, then get it configured and working until I like what happens to the monitor when I run the command "X" as root. Once I don't mind what happens to my screen, I install a desktop and a display manager (such as kdm or xdm). But that's just personal preference.

Giovanni Turi wrote:

Hy guys,

I'm a Debian beginner, but nevertheless I managed to get a minimal system running on my new AMD 64 box, using the Debian Installer on alioth.

The system runs, but is so minimal that basic stuff like X, ftp, emacs are not on board. Anyway I saw that on

http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64/pool/unstable/main

there are a lot of packages...I would say everything I need.

In my source.list I have

deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main
deb-src http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main

I passed these two links to the debian installer during system setup.

How can I get the rest of the packages in the pool/unstable repository?

Any help would be great
Thank you

G.