Re: sdl 64bit problem

Tony Hoyle <tmh@nodomain.org> writes:

> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 06:32:05PM +0100, Tony Hoyle wrote:
>>
>>> I've installed a pure64 system and it's working well (some packages
>>> missing like links-ssl and kdemultimedia but nothing I can't live
>>> without).
>> What is the problem with kdemultimedia?  It is available.  It
>> wasn't for some time though.
>
> Hmm.. it didn't install yesterday... half its packages were
> missing. Still, it works now at lease.
>
>> There doesn't seem to be any links-ssl in sid.  Looks like it has
>> some license problems? (#171338).
>
> It's in the i386 archive... (non-us though - which makes me wonder -
> where is the amd64 non-us archive?  There isn't one I could find on
> alioth or any of the mirrors).

There should be no more non-us. Since crypto joined main all packages
should be able to move out of non-us.

I think alioth is in US so if anything should stay in non-us, for some
to me unknown reason, alioth wouldn't be allowed to host it. But we
could setup our european mirror (bach) to host it if it is realy needed.

> tmh@sisko:~$ apt-cache policy links-ssl
> links-ssl:
>    Installed: 0.98-2
>    Candidate: 0.98-2
>    Version Table:
>   *** 0.98-2 0
>          500 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/main Packages
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
>> I suggest you file a bug against the package in question.
>> (libsdl1.2?)
>
> Will that work? (since amd64 isn't a supported architecture yet)...
> I'll try anyway...
>
> Tony

While amd64 is still not 'official' it should have been a long time
now. As of today no reasons haven been given why amd64 should be
excluded apart from the excuse 'not enough mirror space'. But acording
to our Leader we will soon get a statement from James Troup as to why
amd64 can't be included in sid jet.

If it wasn't so sad it would be quite humorous that the arch with the
second (or third depending on time of day) most number of packages
compiled is not officially part of Debian.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: I believe Kurt wrote a mail to debian-devel about this so check
there too for more info.