Re: Port Name: A Vote

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Chris Cheney wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 04:24:30PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:08:48PM -0700, marc.miller@amd.com wrote:
> > > I'd just like to point out to the greater community that the rest of
> > > the Linux universe uses x86_64 as the generic string to describe this
> > > architecture (it's not tied to a particular brand name, and it avoids
> > > the problems of parsing package names using hyphens), and if Debian
> >
> > I'm not so sure that's correct.  Gentoo and Mandrake, for instance, use
> > amd64, as do various BSDs.
>
> Note that LSB requires the arch to be x86_64.

[snip]

Ok, the relevant passage for the "AMD64 Packaging" LSB Spec:

"All packages must specify an architecture of x86_64. An LSB runtime
environment must accept an architecture of x86_64 even if the native
architecture is different."

This should already have been solved in Debian since the "PPC32 Packaing"
LSB spec says:

"All packages must specify an architecture of ppc. A LSB runtime
environment must accept an architecture of ppc even if the native
architecture is different."

And the native Debian arch is powerpc, not ppc.

/Mattias Wadenstein