Re: Port Name: A Vote

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Steven L. Johnson wrote:

> And not meaning to muddy the waters further, if x86_64 is the preferred
> branding and if special characters used as separators are impractical in
> architecture names, then I don't see why the reasonable alternates
> wouldn't include replacing the "_" with either nothing (x8664)  or some
> other acceptable alphanumeric (x86x64).  Still it isn't obvious to me
> whether the most acceptable of those would be better than amd64.

Because spelling "x86_64" slightly different is much more confusing than
taking a different name. This is one of my main issues against "x86-64",
"x8664", "x86x64", etc. The names "amd64" and "x64" are sufficiently
different to not be that confusing, given that we can't use "x86_64".

/Mattias Wadenstein