Re: Port Name: A Vote

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 04:24:30PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:08:48PM -0700, marc.miller@amd.com wrote:
> > I'd just like to point out to the greater community that the rest of
> > the Linux universe uses x86_64 as the generic string to describe this
> > architecture (it's not tied to a particular brand name, and it avoids
> > the problems of parsing package names using hyphens), and if Debian
>
> I'm not so sure that's correct.  Gentoo and Mandrake, for instance, use
> amd64, as do various BSDs.

Note that LSB requires the arch to be x86_64. Does anyone really know if
the Mandrake and RHEL packages are foo.amd64.rpm or foo.x86_64.rpm?
Those are the only two dists that use the amd64 name at least in
advertising, but I have not seen any packages from them. Gentoo doesn't
really count as its not a real dist, and the BSDs don't need to follow
LSB...

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/book/Packaging-AMD64/Packaging-AMD64.html

IMHO someone should just fix DAK to support _ in the arch name and adopt
x86_64 like everyone else has, especially with even AMD suggesting that
we use x86_64 over amd64.

Chris