Re: Support now in dpkg

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 11:39 +0200, Piotr Kopszak wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 05:51:26PM -0300, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > [I am not subscribed to debian-amd64, please Cc: me if you feel your
> >  reply deserves my attention.]
>
> I  decided to  write, as  I'm rather  new to  all  the decision-making
> process going  on in  Debian. Please, disregard  it if you  don't have
> time for that or consider it  unimportant.

Ah, you seem to be assuming we have a "decision-making process" ... the
official project one is through General Resolution or invocation of the
Technical Committee.

Neither is generally used unless absolutely necessary.  If you feel this
wasn't my decision to make, by all means assign it to tech-ctte or if
you're not a Developer I'll happily do it for you.

> I was really stunned by the arrogant manner  in which such important
> decision was  announced. But what really are the implications? Is
> Scott James Remnant the person to decide, whether effort  of many
> people should be  wasted?

*shrug* I maintain dpkg, therefore I think I am entirely within my
rights to make arbitrary decisions, yes.  I might make wrong ones every
now and then, I'm not convinced this was one of them.

There isn't any wasted people effort, only a few hours of CPU cycles and
even those aren't wasted -- you've proved things can build with them.

> Is he backed by any Central  Party Committee which has executive
> powers in Debian?

There is no such committee.

> I'm sorry for this terminology but it all reminds me the communist era
> too much.

Huh?  Central Party Committees sound communist to me, not people freely
making decisions.

> Do things  like this  happen often in  Debian?

Flamewars?  Frequently.

> One  of the greatest advantages of  Open Source software, as I  see it,
> is freedom it gives to the user and developer, and here we have a blatant
> example of taking that freedom away, don't we?

Taking what freedom away?  Your rant has descended into stupidity.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?