Re: Support now in dpkg

kopszak@mnw.art.pl (Piotr Kopszak) writes:

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:42:44PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:39:22AM +0200, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
>> > Is Scott James Remnant the person to decide, whether effort  of many
>> > people should be  wasted?
>>
>> Please calm down. This is all unstable and things are being hashed out.
>> As long as the port is not on ftp.debian.org, nothing is decided.
>>
>> > Is he backed by any Central  Party Committee which has executive
>> > powers in Debian?  I'm sorry for this terminology but it all reminds
>> > me the communist era too much.
>>
>> There is no Cabal[tm].
>
> I'm relieved to hear that :) So I hope the reason will win ....(amd64).
>
> P.

And as a sidenote. This happens all the time. Then someone starts
screaming, we have a big flamewar with some beer, sausages, some pizza
and hopefully we come to a consensus.

Other times such a decision is first considered carefully in the
affected circles and then put forward to the deciding parties. Those
instances are (hopefully) the more common but you won't see/hear about
those since nobody screams.

It all depends. Screwups happens. Thats another reason for unstable
and experimental.

On a technical side Debian has some rules governing this sort of
things:

Normaly the ruling instance is the maintainer(s) of a package (in this
case dpkg and its developer team). User talk to them about changes and
try to convince them of their ideas.

If a disagreement with the maintainer(s) can't be solved Debian has
a technical committee that makes a final decision:
http://www.debian.org/devel/tech-ctte

For non-technical stuff we have a leader that can make decisions.

And if all else fails a few DDs can get together and call for a
General Resolution in which all DDs get to vote on the matter.

MfG
        Goswin