Re: Opteron support in dpkg

Hi,

I'm just a subscriber to the list, being that I'm very interested in the
move to 64-bit microprocessors, but I feel compelled to put my 2-cents worth
in.  Aside from the technical aspect from which this thread/question
originated, I see using Opteron as being completely wrong, as well as x86-64
or x86_64.

Way back when most of today's university/college students were probably less
than 5 years old, the computer industry had a "i386" platform of personal
computers.  Then came the "i486", etc.  The "i386" represented the (at the
time) new Intel 80386 line of 32-bit processors (if I remember correctly,
running at a whopping 16MHz by-the-way).  The trend since has been to use
the "i386" identity to represent Intels line of 32-bit microprocessors
starting from the 80386 on up.  Or another way to put it - the OS/software
will run on a platform starting from the "i386".  Only when/where required
would a "i486", or "i586" (platform) be specified.

To make a long story short - as I understand AMD's web site, "amd64" is
AMD's designation for their 64-bit technology, whether it be in the Athlon
64 (FX) or Opteron microprocessors.  So I think "amd64" is the only answer,
AND I do not really see any reason why AMD and the computer industry should
back down to whatever nomenclature Intel, or anyone else for that matter,
may designate for their (Intel's) 64-bit technology.

-Robert
by-the-way, I'm a big fan of both AMD and Intel microprocessors!