Re: Opteron support in dpkg

I like John's summary (below). To add my 2c, as someone who has been putting in sweat on this port,

Intel have decided _not_ to use the same name for the instruction set as AMD and indeed to be different in details of the implementation. Therefore the asserted reasons to make the name consistent across the vendors is totally irrelevant because THERE IS NO CONSISTENT NAME. In the past, Debian has chosen the name to incorporate the processor marketing name and/or the manufacturer and thus has resulted in "sparc" "i386" and similar names. For complete consistency, which was the asserted reason for the name change, we should use "opteron" as the architecture on that basis.

I actually prefer "amd64" because that indicates who originally created the architecture. If we are going to change at all, it should be _immediate_ and should be to what GNU uses ... which is "x86_64". However, I think this is the wrong thing to do because we don't use underscores in the other architectures.

I think the idea of putting a hyphen in is stupid, irrespective of what characters are on either side of the hyphen, because there is other ongoing work that has a defacto policy that the presence of a hyphen indicates a non-linux kernel indicated by the prefix word. What are we going to do when netbsd does a 64bit port and we want to have debian supported on that? Perhaps we will call it "netbsd-x86-64" and encourage all the package maintainers to rewrite their parsing scripts that are trying to make sense of this mess for multiarch purposes.