Debian installer [Was: Re: Support for amd64 on ftp.debian.org?]

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 03:05:24PM -0500, Ben Kochie wrote:

> Now that it's monday, and my new opteron box as arrived, what's the status
> of building D-I for 64bit?

The current status is that we don't have a working kernel for
d-i.  All other packages (udebs) are build, but I can't really
test them without a working kernel.

The 2.4 kernel doesn't have support for devfs on amd64.
It looks like it's corrupting memory and therefor disabled.
Because we don't have devfs support we can't mount the initrd.

We're now looking into using a 2.6 kernel for it, but have no
idea if d-i is going to work with it in the first place.

Kurt