Re: Getting started

That kind of thing is hardware specific, so unless you're using the same machine or components as I am, my experiences are unlikely to be very helpful to you. I usually run Testing on all workstations ... only servers are running Stable.

I'm using an E-machines AMD64 based laptop, model M6805, with lspci -n:
00:00.0 Class 0600: 1106:3188 (rev 01)
00:01.0 Class 0604: 1106:b188
00:0a.0 Class 0607: 1524:1410
00:0c.0 Class 0280: 14e4:4320 (rev 03)
00:10.0 Class 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 80)
00:10.1 Class 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 80)
00:10.2 Class 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 80)
00:10.3 Class 0c03: 1106:3104 (rev 82)
00:11.0 Class 0601: 1106:3177
00:11.1 Class 0101: 1106:0571 (rev 06)
00:11.5 Class 0401: 1106:3059 (rev 50)
00:11.6 Class 0780: 1106:3068 (rev 80)
00:12.0 Class 0200: 1106:3065 (rev 74)
00:13.0 Class 0c00: 1106:3044 (rev 80)
00:18.0 Class 0600: 1022:1100
00:18.1 Class 0600: 1022:1101
00:18.2 Class 0600: 1022:1102
00:18.3 Class 0600: 1022:1103
01:00.0 Class 0300: 1002:4e50

Since my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive and I didn't have a Debian CDROM
handy, I actually took a slightly different route to bringing the machine up. I have no idea, therefore, whether a Stable install CD would even work for me.

I simply booted using Knoppix, which gave me a Debian style system that was
immediately usable for work, then partitioned the hard drive in a window,
ran debootstrap to directly create a Testing based install on those partitions and copied across the results of the autoconfiguration for my future reference. When I noticed that it had finished the download, I saved my files and closed
OpenOffice (as a precaution), went into a chroot and configured it for boot.
Finally, I rebooted with the Knoppix CD removed and used dselect normally.

Hope that helps ...
   Alex.

joromm@virgilio.it wrote:

Hi,
32bit debian don't work on my AMD64; i think problem is on hardware which
is more new for 32 stable debian.