Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

* Falk Hueffner (falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
> > Why is it not sensible for all packages?
>
> Because there's no gain for some packages, and it wastes mirror
> space. Some packages, like say a window manager, really don't need
> more than 2G RAM, and are not time critical either.

There is an issue of efficiency and in general applications really are
faster on amd64 when compiled for 64bit.  Sure, the window manager isn't
time critical, but it's going to chew up more CPU time than it needs to
which could be used for other applications.  And, sorry, mirror space is
*not* a good enough reason to go against that.

> However, this might be difficult to decide in some cases, people might
> use packages for unusual tasks; also having too much 32 bit stuff
> might lead to duplicately loaded libraries. Therefore, I wouldn't mind
> if simply everything was built for amd64.

That's good, that's the current plan from my understanding, and
certainly what I expect to be able to do eventually, even in the mixed
32/64bit amd64 port that's being worked on.

	Stephen