Re: INIT problems continue

> Stephen Waters <debian@luy.info> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 08:39, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > > Maybe you could read the FAQ first.
> >
> > With all due respect, I read the FAQ, too, and it's not nearly as clear
> > as the instructions you write below:
> >
> > > Use woody i386 as base and install biarch tools to compile the
> > > kernel. Once you have a 64bit kernel bootet you can do things right.
> > >
> > > Use cdebootstrap, debootstrap is crap. Use sarge on alioth and not
> > > sid. Don't mix in debians sarge/sid packages (and never libc6)
> > > untill alioth has a newer libc6 that works for biarch.

> > -s
>
> The FAQ has more elaborate instructions. Why don't you follow them?

I've read the FAQ.  Several times.  I do not posts to lists without
reading the FAQ.

It is *not* clear.

> Correction to the FAQ are welcome

I'll send a patch.  I'd feel more comfortable if I'd managed to
successfully complete the process described in the FAQ first, though.

The helpful reader who suggested using woody several days ago did
get me past that part, but I still haven't gotten through the Perl
dependency issue.

> but if you start changing woody or
> sarge to sid from the instructions you are inviting trouble.

Except that frequently sid is more "stable" than sarge when it comes
to bleeding edge hardware.  I've been a debian user for 9 years now,
and I'm used to trusting sid more than stable for this sort of thing.

Anyway, the FAQ says:

   you need to setup a debian woody i386 [...] see the  Debian Reference
   Manual 8.6.33 or the (c)debootstrap documentation [...] add "deb
   http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/ sarge main" to your
   /etc/apt/sources.list'

If you think that's a clear instruction not to use debootstrap or to
avoid sarge, I'd hate to hear what you think is unclear and confusing.
It reads like an old document that's been carelessly updated.

Eric