Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

* Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
> > The only reason I can see for even bothering to support 32-bit
> > applications at all is for binary-only proprietary software.  And that
> > is not such a concern; it takes all of about 10 minutes to set up a
> > 32-bit chroot with debootstrap to run those things in.
>
> That implies you have a kernel with 32bit emulation compiled in. So
> you are running a biarch system and not pure 64bit.

Pfffft.  A biarch kernel and a biarch *system* (as in the OS) are quite
different things, and one is a hell of alot easier than the other.
A 64bit-native amd64 port for Debian would work just fine in the
situation he describes, with the biarch kernel.  Is there *anything*
that would have to be done differently to support a biarch kernel in
Debian besides maybe modutils changes (havn't they already been done?)
and other minor kernel-specific stuff, things that wouldn't have any
problem on a 64bit-native Debian system?

> > So it seems to me that the great benefit to many people of having a
> > native 64-bit userland has been sacrificed for the questionable benefit
> > of being able to run proprietary software without making a chroot.  I am
> > still a little shocked about that.
>
> Our big goal is to support A) pure 32bit i386, B) mixed 32/64 bit
> i386/amd64 and C) pure 64bit amd64 userspace.
>
> For some crucial things likes libc6 it doesn't look like we can get
> rid of the 32bit flavour though. But apart from a bit of bloat here
> and there nothing stands in the way of a pure 64 bit amd64
> system (Except your time and willingness to port stuff).

I'm not sure what you mean here.  I don't think you'd need the libc6
32bit flavour on a pure 64bit-native amd64 system.  If you're saying
that for the biarch stuff that's being worked on then I could understand
it, and doubt anyone would mind it being there.

> > Can someone explain what is going on here?
>
> Its a transition. Its all a mess untill stuff is cleaned up, things
> have been tried and decided upon.

Decided upon?  Hardly.  Certainly not by all the stakeholders involved.

	Stephen