Re: [multiarch] Proposal for *-dev packages

> * Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
> > You couldn't use a chroot. You couldn't install both 32bit and 64bit
> > dev packages in it.
>
> The point is that you could install the 32bit -dev's in a chroot and
> have the 64bit dev's on the main system.
>
> > The common case includes all the DDs tat will go out and buy an amd64
> > system next. They should be ablte to compile, develope and test i386
> > and amd64 debs easily. Having 4 systems (2 for work, 2 for
> > sbuild/pbuilder for uploads) is some bloat. You just trippeled the
> > number of chroots needed.
>
> Personally I'm not likely to compile i386 debs on my amd64 system.  I
> expect we're going to continue to have i386 buildd's, and that could be
> on an amd64 system if someone sets up a chroot for it (and is confident
> it won't break things).  The only time I see this claim as being valid
> for is prior to libraries being ported to amd64 and in that case those
> who need it might be better off just installing i386 to begin with.
>
> 	Stephen

Every time the maintainer of a library make a new version he should
test that the library works for nativ and multiarch correctly if
possible. If it just means running "linux32 debuild" and "debuild"
thats a reasonable request. Thats what we want but not neccessarily
need.

MfG
        Goswin