Re: [multiarch] Proposal for *-dev packages

* Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
> You couldn't use a chroot. You couldn't install both 32bit and 64bit
> dev packages in it.

The point is that you could install the 32bit -dev's in a chroot and
have the 64bit dev's on the main system.

> The common case includes all the DDs tat will go out and buy an amd64
> system next. They should be ablte to compile, develope and test i386
> and amd64 debs easily. Having 4 systems (2 for work, 2 for
> sbuild/pbuilder for uploads) is some bloat. You just trippeled the
> number of chroots needed.

Personally I'm not likely to compile i386 debs on my amd64 system.  I
expect we're going to continue to have i386 buildd's, and that could be
on an amd64 system if someone sets up a chroot for it (and is confident
it won't break things).  The only time I see this claim as being valid
for is prior to libraries being ported to amd64 and in that case those
who need it might be better off just installing i386 to begin with.

	Stephen