Re: [multiarch] Proposal for *-dev packages

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> writes:

> * Goswin von Brederlow
>
> | Other could do with conflicting -dev packages. But the majority of
> | people I talked to so far would like to havethem installed in parallel
> | instead of having to purge and reinstall them each time they compile
> | for a different bit depth.
> |
> | Just consider compiling a benchmark that tests 32 bit and 64 bit
> | support. That would be hell.
>
> We aren't gentoo.  Users aren't supposed to do that, but if they do,
> they should use a chroot.  Optimize for the common case.

You couldn't use a chroot. You couldn't install both 32bit and 64bit
dev packages in it.

The common case includes all the DDs tat will go out and buy an amd64
system next. They should be ablte to compile, develope and test i386
and amd64 debs easily. Having 4 systems (2 for work, 2 for
sbuild/pbuilder for uploads) is some bloat. You just trippeled the
number of chroots needed.

MfG
        Goswin