how to test 64bit packages

Hello,

How can one know if an application is 64bit?  I mean, if it is
possible to run 32bit application on a 64bit kernel, how can we define
a standard test scenario that a porting of a package was successful?
Would it be only to test the output of `ldd' and see if it is linked
against libraries in /lib64?  Or is it enough that compiling was
successful?  Do we need an automatic test?  Is it neccessary to check
the packages that they really are 64bit, just to avoid a 32bit binary
to "sneek" in?

what other tests would be neccessary?

   Peter