Re: how to test 64bit packages

* Peter <pk@q-leap.com> [030528 06:12]:
> Hello,

Hi Peter,

> How can one know if an application is 64bit?

In addition to the ldd test you mention below, you can use `file`.

> I mean, if it is possible to run 32bit application on a 64bit kernel,
> how can we define a standard test scenario that a porting of a package
> was successful?

I am not sure if you can ever be completely sure if the 64 bit port did
not introduce something odd.

The best way would be to run the program.  But testing apache is
totally different then testing lilo.

If you don't have hardware, bochs is your second choice.

> Would it be only to test the output of `ldd' and see if it is linked
> against libraries in /lib64?

Yes, that should be the case, always.

> Or is it enough that compiling was successful?

I would encourage you to run the program.  I imagine if you are porting
a package it is because you chose it for porting and hence you are
either willing to learn about it or are a master at it already.  In
either case you would run the program...

> Do we need an automatic test?  Is it neccessary to check the packages
> that they really are 64bit, just to avoid a 32bit binary to "sneek"
> in?

I see your point Peter.  We _do_ want to make sure that packages we mark
as x86-64/amd64 are bound only against /lib64 -- and running them is not
sufficient since 32-bit programs will run just as well.  I would think
that this would be a good port-packaging test.  It may even be a good
idea to put it into debhelper.

Regards,
Bart.

--