newbie questions for amd64

So my cpu fan stopped and my system fried and I'm contemplating
buying an opteron as a desktop with the idea of benchmarking some of our
applications prior to purchasing nodes for a Beowulf. I have some
general questions.

1. Is there a debian build for the amd64 system that is reasonably
stable?
1a. If not, is there a rough estimate of when that would be ready?

2. What is the difference between the athlon-64 and opteron cpu's
2a. Any opinions about which is the better cpu for scientific
(electronic structure) applications?

Thanks in advance.

Art Edwards