Re: biarch gcc not built with 64-bit mode?

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 04:13:59PM +0100, Roland Fehrenbacher wrote:
> I think we absolutely need some kind of frozen code base to do the porting
> against. A small point I would change though: For each new (amd64 or biarch
> package) I would use the most recent source from unstable, so we don't fall too
> behind compared to the ix86 unstable.
The problem might come when some package has a strict dependency on the
other package, meaning requires some =version, which might have not
ported yet but have just previous version. Under current level of
activity it would be really hard I think to keep up with unstable (or
even testing) main debian trunk. So I thought that it would be better to
port all basic packages from the frozen base first and then start
maintaining it as well as the rest of packages.

Well. because interest exists, I will create recent unstable debian
mirror in a couple of days (just need to resolve some problems first
with machine I want to host it on)

>     Yarik> point. Doing this way we have a chance to be consistent.
> I am just in the process of creating a new 3.3.2 gcc package suite. There are a
> couple of things still to be fixed compared to the current pre4 package from
> Arnd. g77 -m64 for instance doesn't work because of missing libraries. This
> shouldn't be too difficult to fix though.
Please keep up posted how it will come out :-)

>     Yarik> 3. After all basic packages are ported with all proper dependancies
>     Yarik> and all necessary packages and Release and Packages files present we
>     Yarik> can start maintaining them to catch up with the main debian trunk.
> If we do what I suggested above, the catch up with the main debian trunk will
> be much less work.
Again - do we have enough strength to catch up? It is just my opinion
and might be wrong.

>     Yarik> Does it sound reasonable???
> Totally, to me at least.
Yeay! :-)

                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]
             Key  http://www.onerussian.com/gpg-yoh.asc
GPG fingerprint   3BB6 E124 0643 A615 6F00  6854 8D11 4563 75C0 24C8