Re: procedure?

On Monday 10 November 2003 23:08, Antoine Labour wrote:
>  What is exactly the
> reason why gcc defaults to 32 bits on the debian ?

The reason is that the compiler is currently an i386 binary itself and
is meant to replace the regular i386 compiler package with additional
support for 64 bit binaries. This is done the same way on sparc and
s390.
Yes, this is a problem when building a 2.6 kernel that I have no
real solution for yet. For my own system, I have patched the
kernel makefiles so that they also support the debian setup, but
it is not as nice as it could be.

	Arnd <><